Obsession: n. something that preoccupies a person to the exclusion of other things.
So I know I haven't posted in a while. I have my friend Gwen to blame, she borrowed me The Book.
I have never been so distracted by a work of fiction. I even considered cancelling going on a limo party on Friday, just so I could stay home and read The Book. The Book went camping with me this weekend and it took all of my willpower to actually be social and do things like fish...I felt better at least having The Book with me.
Of course, I cooked breakfast while reading The Book, ate all meals while reading The Book, fished while reading The Book and skipped a much needed nap just to read The Book.
Okay The Book is the Twilight series. I just call it The Book, even though it is four in the series. I have all four so I just immediately start the next when I am done with one. I am so thankful I found this series after it had been written...no waiting.
This Book is like heroin - I'm on the second Book in the series and I'm not sure what I will use for my methadone when I am done. Four Books total. I have considered reading only a chapter a day so I can drag it out...but I am finding that I can't put it down when I pick it up.
I am not at all sure WHAT it is about The Book that makes me so captivated. This is actually really interesting to me. It is good writing, but not at all thought provoking. A teenager could easily read this series and find it just as captivating as myself. Actually, teenagers love The Book. There is even a movie that just came out.
I have no real interest in vampires or the super natural. I did read Ann Rice's vampire series a few years ago, but I like her writing so will read anything from her.
So, I have been considering the elements of The Book that make it so addicting. For sure it is brain candy, easy to read, good writing that provides the reader with good mental pictures. It has elements of desire and sensuality that are not at all crude or too detailed. It also has action-adventure pieces...during one particular scary moment a friend actually ran up behind me and yelled boo and I actually jumped about three feet. The protagonist is also obsessed (with love), so perhaps this is the element that makes the reader more captivated.
Has anyone else read it and want to comment?
I would recommend it but I have to warn that it will cause you to want to completely ignore everything else and only read The Book. At page five you are bored...by page 15, you can't stop.
Flying to Oklahoma tomorrow and will be there for ten days. I may be able to blog - or maybe not - depending on events and my internet options. Of course, I am bringing The Book.
