This sculpture is mostly known as the “Winged Victory of Samothrace” but is also called “Nike of Samothrace” and “Victory at Samothrace.” I first learned of her in an art history class (art history 101 I believe). She was easy for me to identify and remember because I felt that she seemed victorious. In fact, everything about her is victorious and light and strong.When I saw her in person it was a memorable, breath taking experience. Not only did I not know she was at the Louvre, but I was also unprepared for her presence.
She is almost 11 feet tall and made entirely of marble. Her projection outward makes it feel as though she is about to take flight. And I find it amazing a person could create something like this with only their hands and a couple tools. She is from the Hellenistic period, around 300 BC, so they were definitely without any sort of modern help!
There is some speculation and mystery around her. No one knows who the artist was that created her. It is thought that she was created for Demetrius Poliorcetes when he won a naval victory over Ptolemy. And then Demetrius dedicated her to Samothrace, a small island off of Greece. She was found in 1863, in pieces, and was immediately transported to the Louvre for assembly.
Her arms and head were never found.
There is speculation over what her right arm was doing, before she lost it that is. Some think it was cupped to her mouth as if she was shouting, others say she was holding a trumpet to her lips.
If we were to go with practicality, my money is on the trumpet. It is nearly impossible to shout directly into the wind and be heard.

