So I’ve decided to open my time up to riding horses for random people again. I’ve been wanting to teach some more lessons and now I’m agreeing to ride. I’m currently only riding for one person on many horses, on my terms, and our agreement has really been a win-win.
The economy sucks, people are getting part time jobs everywhere just to make things come together. I just so happen to have a talent outside of my professional life that will make me more money than working at a coffee house or as a bartender. However, my goal was to never ride again as a job. I had many reasons for this but my primary one was that I stopped enjoying myself and every day I had to drag my butt into the saddle.
So, here I am again. I can’t complain too much, things could be a lot worse for me and there are people doing jobs that are way worse than this to make ends meet.
In fact, it’s all in the eye of the beholder because some people would give anything to do this. So I am not complaining, I’m thankful.
However it is ironic how the grass is greener...I'd give up a lot just to get into a good position in a good company. There are people in good positions in good companies that would give up a lot, to work with horses.
Ironically, my first horse back in the game is going to be an UNBROKE ½ Arabian, ¼ THOROUGHBRED and ¼ Quarter horse MARE that was ADOPTED, from a RESEARCH PROGRAM, by a woman whom has NEVER OWNED a horse before and is a self-proclaimed BEGINNER who is only interested in TRAIL RIDING.
Just scan that last paragraph for all the capitalized words and you have the recipe for a whole lot of work and a potential disaster.
Now, I’m sure someone knows someone’s cousin that has a sister whose best friend in high school’s aunt had a neighbor that never rode before and had a great time training a horse with similar breeding with little to no help from a trainer.
But that just typically isn’t reality. Now the owner has taken the first good step and is seeking help. I do not ever fault people when they seek help. Knowing you need help is half the battle.
I do fault the program that “adopted” this horse out. The term “adoption” is not appropriate. It should be called a “sale” because that’s just what they did.
I believe that many breeds and crosses can turn out to be wonderful horses and I am a believer in “seeing” before I pass any judgment. However, for a beginner to buy an unbroke horse is a gamble. Add to that gamble this horse’s breeding and what the owner plans for the horse; the sky is dark and turning green.
I’d like to make a point of mentioning that the troubling part to this breeding is addition of the Thoroughbred. Not the usually scoffed at Arabian or the Quarter horse. Why? Because it has been my experience that Thoroughbreds have a greater tendency to do random things – because they have a tendency to be very nervous and have less esteem.
I’m not saying they are ALL that way, yes yes yes, I too have had lesson horses that were 100% Thoroughbred and I have known the feeling of jumping one. I think they can be bold, but more importantly, learn to be bold.
With the right rider, time, patience and consistency. Only a good rider can provide good clear consistency.
So in the Arab, TB, Quarter cross, I am hoping that I do not have an overly dramatic, game playing, spooky horse that has a tendency to do random things and buck. That’s if I go by all the stereotypes.
I’m hoping for a highly intelligent, sensitive, sensible and athletic horse that looks stunning at an extended trot and has a very forgiving nature.
Perhaps I’ll have to start with the former but I am going for the latter.
I am also hoping that the owner is height and weight proportionate. Fitness is half the battle when riding young horses and when learning to ride. It is what it is, I don’t make the rules.
What is even more important is that she follows instructions and gives in to the training. I'd hate to walk by the arena and find her in there with a carrot stick, shaking a rope and hoping for licking and chewing. Let's just stick to basic walk, stop, trot, pivot and back on the lead line PLEASE.
The woman is attached to the horse and, like any good animal person, has an interest in the welfare of the horse. So, even if she wanted to sell the horse or give it away…no one is lining up. They just aren’t. Due to breeding, the breed shows are automatically out.
The people who like Arabians, don’t want a Thoroughbred and Quarter mixed in. Perhaps one or the other, but not both. The Thoroughbred people have no interest because they can’t race and Arabians are not known for their take off, form, style and landing over jumps. Quarter horse people won’t even look at an Arabian.
To top it off, everyone nowadays wants super-dead-broke-for-grandma-and-the-kids. Or stick horses or perhaps they should just skip the horse and get bicycles. At the end of the day, the vicious cycle continues.
Okay so that’s me being Negative Nelly.
I’m actually really excited for this job. This IS what I am good at. Teaching horses to handle their fear and making them productive members of society that will hopefully go on to be successful for life (not just for one thing). Teaching people the tools they need to handle and ride horses appropriately; without fear or weird ideas. All the while where everyone is having a good time – having a good time is paramount.
So, I am ready. Now, I just hope she can afford me (in this economy?) and also afford the mandatory two lessons a month, on a broke horse, she will need to take with me, while I am riding hers. I’d love it if she did four or even leased the horse but I can’t ask for everything. I just badly want her to be practicing her own riding skills before she starts riding her filly.
As far as the time I’ll get...Until Next June is Great, Six Months is Good and Three Months is Crazy.






The economy sucks, people are getting part time jobs everywhere just to make things come together. I just so happen to have a talent outside of my professional life that will make me more money than working at a coffee house or as a bartender. However, my goal was to never ride again as a job. I had many reasons for this but my primary one was that I stopped enjoying myself and every day I had to drag my butt into the saddle.
So, here I am again. I can’t complain too much, things could be a lot worse for me and there are people doing jobs that are way worse than this to make ends meet.
In fact, it’s all in the eye of the beholder because some people would give anything to do this. So I am not complaining, I’m thankful.
However it is ironic how the grass is greener...I'd give up a lot just to get into a good position in a good company. There are people in good positions in good companies that would give up a lot, to work with horses.
Ironically, my first horse back in the game is going to be an UNBROKE ½ Arabian, ¼ THOROUGHBRED and ¼ Quarter horse MARE that was ADOPTED, from a RESEARCH PROGRAM, by a woman whom has NEVER OWNED a horse before and is a self-proclaimed BEGINNER who is only interested in TRAIL RIDING.
Just scan that last paragraph for all the capitalized words and you have the recipe for a whole lot of work and a potential disaster.
Now, I’m sure someone knows someone’s cousin that has a sister whose best friend in high school’s aunt had a neighbor that never rode before and had a great time training a horse with similar breeding with little to no help from a trainer.
But that just typically isn’t reality. Now the owner has taken the first good step and is seeking help. I do not ever fault people when they seek help. Knowing you need help is half the battle.
I do fault the program that “adopted” this horse out. The term “adoption” is not appropriate. It should be called a “sale” because that’s just what they did.
I believe that many breeds and crosses can turn out to be wonderful horses and I am a believer in “seeing” before I pass any judgment. However, for a beginner to buy an unbroke horse is a gamble. Add to that gamble this horse’s breeding and what the owner plans for the horse; the sky is dark and turning green.
I’d like to make a point of mentioning that the troubling part to this breeding is addition of the Thoroughbred. Not the usually scoffed at Arabian or the Quarter horse. Why? Because it has been my experience that Thoroughbreds have a greater tendency to do random things – because they have a tendency to be very nervous and have less esteem.
I’m not saying they are ALL that way, yes yes yes, I too have had lesson horses that were 100% Thoroughbred and I have known the feeling of jumping one. I think they can be bold, but more importantly, learn to be bold.
With the right rider, time, patience and consistency. Only a good rider can provide good clear consistency.
So in the Arab, TB, Quarter cross, I am hoping that I do not have an overly dramatic, game playing, spooky horse that has a tendency to do random things and buck. That’s if I go by all the stereotypes.
I’m hoping for a highly intelligent, sensitive, sensible and athletic horse that looks stunning at an extended trot and has a very forgiving nature.
Perhaps I’ll have to start with the former but I am going for the latter.
I am also hoping that the owner is height and weight proportionate. Fitness is half the battle when riding young horses and when learning to ride. It is what it is, I don’t make the rules.
What is even more important is that she follows instructions and gives in to the training. I'd hate to walk by the arena and find her in there with a carrot stick, shaking a rope and hoping for licking and chewing. Let's just stick to basic walk, stop, trot, pivot and back on the lead line PLEASE.
The woman is attached to the horse and, like any good animal person, has an interest in the welfare of the horse. So, even if she wanted to sell the horse or give it away…no one is lining up. They just aren’t. Due to breeding, the breed shows are automatically out.
The people who like Arabians, don’t want a Thoroughbred and Quarter mixed in. Perhaps one or the other, but not both. The Thoroughbred people have no interest because they can’t race and Arabians are not known for their take off, form, style and landing over jumps. Quarter horse people won’t even look at an Arabian.
To top it off, everyone nowadays wants super-dead-broke-for-grandma-and-the-kids. Or stick horses or perhaps they should just skip the horse and get bicycles. At the end of the day, the vicious cycle continues.
Okay so that’s me being Negative Nelly.
I’m actually really excited for this job. This IS what I am good at. Teaching horses to handle their fear and making them productive members of society that will hopefully go on to be successful for life (not just for one thing). Teaching people the tools they need to handle and ride horses appropriately; without fear or weird ideas. All the while where everyone is having a good time – having a good time is paramount.
So, I am ready. Now, I just hope she can afford me (in this economy?) and also afford the mandatory two lessons a month, on a broke horse, she will need to take with me, while I am riding hers. I’d love it if she did four or even leased the horse but I can’t ask for everything. I just badly want her to be practicing her own riding skills before she starts riding her filly.
As far as the time I’ll get...Until Next June is Great, Six Months is Good and Three Months is Crazy.






