Monday, June 15, 2009

Central Minnesota

So last night I went to a friends wedding, they live in the country. They had an outdoor wedding and then held the reception at a restaurant that has an events hall.

I just love small town weddings. There’s always lots of dancing, the food is simple but good and the atmosphere is casual. People always show up that weren’t invited, kids are allowed to run and play and parents don’t watch them like hawks.
I remember being 10 and running around barefoot at weddings!

Of course there is the inevitable line dance:

You can’t go wrong with your outfit, everyone shows up in all stages of dress. These boots were actually worn by the bride’s sister, who was showing support for the bride by wearing cowboy boots.
The next day I had breakfast in a town that has a population of just under 300 people. I got eggs, bacon and hashbrowns for $3.95. Coffee was 95 cents.

I love the look and feel of a small town.
I don’t know who Ruth is, but I really love her garden.

So, one could imagine my surprise when I turned the corner and saw this.

This is not something I am used to seeing in a small town. I see it in the city all the time – basically, someone sleeps here sometimes.

I think in this economy there is plenty of this going on. But to see it in a small town makes me think of Meth. Meth has seemed to become the latest and greatest way for people to ruin their lives, especially in small towns. I think the reason it’s so prevalent in small towns is because it is relatively cheap to make but requires a “lab” space. Meth labs are especially easy to put up, use and move during ice fishing.

I know the issue of homelessness is not quite so cut and dry. I am just guessing from what I know of past gossip and recent trends.

Just the other night I watched the Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith (well, not WITH Will Smith but - he was in it). I highly recommend it.