Thursday, April 16, 2009

Wine Shopping!

So wine shopping was not nearly as climactic as it has been in the past. Funds are very very low and already have other places they need to go. I have to say I still had a good time. But it was like only getting to eat salad at the buffet vs getting the whole buffet.

Normally I hit the wine sales at Haskell's and Surdyk's 2-4 times a year. I like to stock up on the wines I like and I also try new wines and wines I have heard about. What better time than during a sale! I could sincerely spend hours at the wine shop, trying wines and adding more to the cart.

This time, I budgeted and also limited my time. It seems the longer TIME I spend, the more MONEY I spend. (Isn't there always a correlation?)

I always buy go-to and stand-by wines that I really enjoy. I have them to bring to parties, especially to homes where I don't know the hosts very well. I know the wine will be good and these go over well with many people besides just myself.

Some bottles I double/triple up on because I know I will use them. By the way, the Menage a Trois blended red is a wine that EVERYONE likes. From people that only drink canned beer, to wine snobs. The name always provokes a joke from someone (that they always think is funny), but live through that and everyone likes the wine.

I pass no judgement on what a person likes to drink. I just want what I give them to be something they will like.

The Black Opal Shiraz is nostalgic for me. I do enjoy it, but it is also the first and only bottle I have been given at a restaurant that I had to send back. They had a bad case. The nostalgia around it is also from the fact it was the only wine my roommate and I could agree on for years.

The Rosemount also has memories for me. The first time I had it, a bottle and some truffles were given to me as a thank you for a really good horse camping trip. The note on the bottle said, "You have the best job in the world." I don't think I will ever forget that moment, because at the time, I didn't agree. Now, my opinion might be different. :)

Le Grand I have had a lot and really enjoy. It was introduced to me by the best round-penner I have ever met. I never see it on a menu but it can be found at most wine shops. This year I saw it in a cab-shiraz mix so I bought a bottle of that too.

Gnarly Head and I have been good to each other. I tried it many years ago at a wine sale and have been in love ever since. Another one that is very portable.
These are the ones I picked to "try" this year. I have been really wanting to get into Spanish and Argentinian wines. Each I have had one good experience with and then the rest have been bad. I am still blaming it on the type of wine and place I got them from before I write off whole countries for bad wine.

Even Austrailia can make good wine so... (sorry Austrailia, that was tongue in cheek).

I don't drink a lot of white wine but I feel like I "should" for some reason. So I try. I always add in one new white wine. My mother likes only white wine so this is probably part of the "should."

And I ALWAYS buy a bottle of wine if it has a horse on it! So, we'll see how this one goes.

The wines I "try" are often shared with good friends, that appreciate wine and will forgive me if I pick up a bad bottle.

These last two are what I consider "fillers." It's better if you have already gone through one bottle before opening them. These I bought for GAWD events that turn into evening events. On sale they were $2.55 apiece. :)



All in all, I've never been a case buyer. There is a wine called Equus that I really enjoy and would probably buy a case of if it was convenient and in the budget to do so.

Otherwise, I like to try new wines and also enjoy the variety. I probably wouldn't be the wine drinker I am if it wasn't for the differences and the constant change.

Due to $$$ I also chose not to buy a ton more "wines to try." Instead I opted to take advantage of the sale on Black Box Cabernet. This really is good wine. I was actually just talking to a friend about it last week. I had the same reaction he did the first time I saw it, "No thank you." But, this is a good wine, I appreciate it. The cab is the only I've had. I heard the shiraz and whites are no good. The merlot is okay.



All in all, I love shopping for wine and I love pairing wine with food. My love for wine reminds me of my friend's love for fishing lures. I don't have to use all of my wine, but I sure like to look at it. :)

I also love the fact that every time I go into the wine shop, there are new wines I have never seen or heard of before (I think the same as fishing lures)!

Happy Spring...