Friday, July 31, 2009

A little on cats and a little on pet food

So I have to share that my cat has not been feeling very great as of late. I have learned a valuable - and I hope not too late - lesson. I am sharing in hopes that other people won't have to learn the way I am.

So, I have a 14 year old cat that has always seemed in good health. My vets (I have had two due to moving) have always exclaimed how "good she looks for her age" and what "wonderful shape she is in for her age". My new vet was surprised that she was in her teens, she "would have guessed much younger."

In the last year Lexi has slowed down a bit - I thought this was due to age. She has always been happy and playful, but slower.

Well, about a month ago, Lexi pooped outside of her box. She has never done anything like this before. It went on over a few days over the weekend so I brought her in to the vet.

By the way, cats do not poop outside the box out of spite. I know people think they do, but if your cat is exhibiting this behavior, they need to go to the vet!

Yes, it is true that it can become a habit, but they do not start this out of spite. Possibly out of anxiety or issues with territory with other cats but not spite.

At the vet they could find nothing immediately wrong. All of her bloodwork and the fecal came back normal, organs functioning. The only sign was that she has lost 13 oz of weight in the last year. Given that she has had no changes to her diet and exercise levels, this is really bad.

My vet recommended switching her cat food to a one protein, one carb food. She said that most pets, especially as they age, have a hard time digesting more than one protein at a time.

In fact, pets are not MEANT to digest more than one protein at a time. This makes sense to me because an outdoor cat does not kill a bird, mouse and lamb and then eat them all together.

After switching to the one protein one carb food, Lexi immediately starting going back inside her box.

Today I brought her back in to do a weight check and also get her teeth done. I am trying to put weight on her and her teeth need a little work.

Well, unfortunately, in this last month Lexi has lost almost a half a pound. We were unable to do her dental because of this. She does not appear to need extractions so the risk of anesthesia is not worth it.

I am now on a weight gain diet with her...trying to get her to eat as much as I can.

Unfortunately, if she continues to lose, she will need to go on Prednisone and Vitamin B12 shots.

This is heartbreaking for me. I was not ready for all this to come around so quickly as she has appeared healthy up until a month ago. The fact of the matter is that the food I have been feeding her is what has made her sick.

This is the truth.

This was VET PRESCRIBED prescription diet C/D formula to stave off urinary tract infections.

I thought I was feeding the best food for her!

Sandra at World's End Farm has had the same revelation with her dog. Another situation where it is too late to reverse the effects.

I am hoping I can help my cat, but she lost a half a pound in a month...

So, I am suggesting everyone take a look at what you are feeding your animals, even if your vet says it's fine, get a second opinion! Don't wind up like Sandra and I, regretting and saying "if I knew then..."

Also, just to help, here are some examples of how to read the labels...

This is Iams Healthy Naturals for adult cats:

Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Chicken Meal, Salmon, Brewer's Rice, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Corn Grits, Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Natural Chicken Flavor, Sodium Bisulfate, Potassium Chloride, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), DL-Methionine, Dried Apple Pomace, Dried Carrots, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Dried Peas, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Dried Spinach, Dried Tomato, Calcium Carbonate, Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Rosemary Extract.

Okay, let's count the proteins: Chicken, Salmon, Egg, Animal Fat THERE ARE AT LEAST 4 DIFFERENT PROTEINS IN THIS FOOD. I have also heard that Chicken, Chickn By-Product Meal, Chicken Meal and Natural Chicken Flavor can be considered different proteins.

Next we have Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance:

Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Chicken, Potatoes, Carrots, Salmon Meal, Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Dried Egg, Brewers Yeast, Duck, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Spinach, Parsley Flakes, Cranberries, L- Lysine, L-Carnitine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

Now Dick Van Patten's is supposed to be very good food, but you still have to read the label. We have Chicken, Salmon, Lamb, Egg and Duck. THIS IS 5 PROTEINS.

Let's look at EVO, a very expensive, very palatable food. This is EVO 95% Chicken and Turkey...

Chicken, Chicken Broth, Turkey, Natural Flavors, Carrageenan, Minerals, Guar Gum, Vitamins, Choline Chloride, Herring Oil, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Ascorbate, Taurine, Sunflower Oil, Sodium Phosphate, Beta Carotene

Okay, this STILL HAS AT LEAST 2 PROTEINS. Chicken and Turkey. One could also argue that the Herring Oil is a 3rd protein.

This is what I WAS feeding Lexi (remember, vet prescribed, sold at the clinic):

Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Feline:

Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

PROTEINS ARE AT LEAST CHICKEN, PORK, FISH. And, for cats WAY TOO MUCH GRAIN. Cats are carnivores, and should not be eating grains.

Here is what I am NOW feeding Lexi:

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck (dry and canned):

Duck, Duck Broth, Duck Liver, Pea Flour, Pea Protein, Salmon Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Sodium Chloride, Flaxseed, Dried Cranberries, Yucca Schidigera, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

EVO 95% Duck (canned):

Duck, Duck Broth, Natural Flavors, Carrageenan, Potassium Chloride, Tricalcium Phosphate, Minerals, Guar Gum, Vitamins, Choline Choride, Herring Oil, Salt, Sodium Ascorbate, Sunflower Oil, Taurine, Sodium Phosphate, Beta Carotine.

Now a person could argue 3 total proteins, however the Salmon and the Herring are farther down the list. After having Lexi on these foods, she has started to feel much better. Whether or not the damage to her intestines is reversable is the question...time will tell.

Please don't let this be you or your pets.

Interestingly enough, when I have metioned this to people, everyone has said, "well my vet prescribed this food," "I work for a clinic and this is the food we carry," "my friend is a vet and researched this food," etc etc.

When Sandra told me about her dog, I said, "my vet prescribed this food." Look where I am now. Talk to your vet, do the research.

And don't let this be you.

Okay, there's my public service message for the day.