Thursday, May 7, 2009

Beautiful Southern Ontario











So I had a wonderful time at the CHA clinic, and a little bit of a surprising time. The clinic ended up with a participant cancelling last minute, and seeing as how I was already there, I took the clinic!

I was NOT expecting to do this, I had called to see if I could attend the week before. It was a little nerving to jump in like that, but there really was no reason not to so I did!

I was introduced to CHA back in 2000 when I had to go to a clinic to be certified for a Riding Director job at a summer camp. At that time, I thought I would certify in level four. But I certified in level two.

I really love this organization for what they do. The clinic process is not about teaching instructors. It is all about rating what you already know and can teach. So, in 2000 I was riding level 4 but my timing and accuracy in teaching did not get me beyond level 2.

The way I understand it, this is common for first clinics.

The way the clinic process works, you are either riding, teaching or assisting the entire time. You get 15 minutes and an assistant for each lesson taught. The participants are encouraged to “role play,” so while you are teaching, there are corrections to make.

While you are teaching, the clinicians are making notes. After each lesson there is a critique session where you, your assistant, the clinic participants and the clinicians all make comments. Everyone was encouraged to come up with at least one positive and at least one constructive comment.

During the clinic, the clinicians also do teaching sessions on professionalism, risk management, the process of teaching and the like.

So without further ado, I will say I was passed as a Master Instructor with recommendation for a Clinic Instructor! A huge honor and something I have been wanting to do for a while. I just didn’t think I’d be doing it so soon!

CHA is an organization I stand behind as it is. I love that someone out there is preaching safe, effective and GOOD riding. Seeing as how anyone can put up a sign in their front yard and say they teach/train.

I was really hoping I would see a moose while I was there. It is my goal one day to see one. Being in MN, I’ve been in the places they live, but have always missed them. I’ve also been to Yellowstone, twice. I have seen them in photos and on tv. But I want to see one in person. Not in a zoo.

So, not without trying, this was the best I got for moose sightings.
I did get to drink interesting beer, that I had never had before, that was good:
I snuck through the border a couple bottles of wine (go figure) and while I’ve had the Dynamite Cabernet before and really love it.
(Beware, it’s very heavy, a red wine drinkers wine. )

I was super impressed with the Norman Vineyards, Edna Valley Chardonnay.
For those of you that keep a wine journal, it’s one to add to the must try list. My Hosts were very pleased with it.

I always love an abundance of four legged friends around. Horses of course, but they need to stay in the barn so I am always happy for cats and dogs. Here’s “Todd.”
This is Todd on his birthday, on the couch.
In his natural environment.

Todd is a Standard Poodle/Border Collie mix. Todd likes to sleep with me but this time around the bed was a little too small for us both. I don’t know how big he is, but I would guestimate around the 100# mark. He is quite tall. He is also very expressive and is always on a happy pill. Even when I yelled at him for getting into the garbage, he was wagging his tail, happy I was saying his name. It is very difficult to be mad at him or stay mad at him.

I also fell off the wagon on my cookbook addiction and bought three cookbooks at the value village in Thunder Bay.

I just like to have them, look at them, sometimes read them and rarely use them. I am a true hoarder of cookbooks. It really is a problem. The prices sent me over the edge. Normally I stop at one but for $1 to $5 a book, I couldn't help myself.

My cat is THRILLED to have me home. To the point of being in the way when it comes to the laundry and the unpacking process. Of course I can’t fault her for missing me. :) We took a much needed nap today, it was good.
I am very glad to be back, had a great homecoming. Now I just need to organize and get ready for Miles City - fast approaching!