Monday, January 19, 2009

She'll Be Comin' Down the Mountain When She Comes!






So I’ve started up the new-to-me sport of cross country skiing. There’s definitely been a learning curve that seems harder than when I learned to ride a horse. That might be because I learned to ride as a kid. Kids can do everything.
Theory is, I can fall off a horse, I can fall skiing. So far this theory is proving true. It's hard to get up with skis on.

Also, my habit of falling in front of people is still going strong and has successfully transferred to skiing.

Apparently not only horses do that to you.

Today, I fell promptly in front of the nature center at Tamarack in White Bear Lake. Good thing for ski pants.

Cross country skiing is a definitely a physical sport, a really good workout. However, I don’t think I will ever get into spandex for it.

What is with men in their 40’s wearing spandex? I never see men in their 30’s, but all over the place men in their 40’s have gotta wear that spandex.

Running, at the gym, step class, yoga, rollerblading and cross country skiing. They are always in spandex. I’m sure someone has some explanation how spandex whisks sweat away, provides better freedom of movement, blah, blah and more blah.

I don't care, it's super unattractive and uncalled for. I know they think they are in great shape. They are still unattractive in spandex. Most of them are wearing black outfits, but if they are wearing spandex, I think of them as the same as this guy:

Not at all my type. But then again, they aren't my type anyway.

Seeing as how I always get hit on by men in their 40's, you'd think they get a clue that this sort of outfit does not work for them. Ever.

Anywho, I even have my own skis! They are older than me, hand me downs from my parents. But, they are back in style fashion-wise and in great shape because they apparently didn’t do too much of that when they did.

I do need to pick up a face/neck wrap, the scarf thing doesn’t work so well. And some sort of fleece/wool sweatshirt for under my jacket.

One of the great things about cross country skiing is the hot drink I deserve when I’m done!