Sunday, March 14, 2010

Parelli Training Video

So, the video out there of Linda Parelli training a horse has really caused a stir!

I never would have even seen the video if it wasn't for the Parelli fans on facebook and then of course their blog. They advertised that video themselves. They should have just gone along their business because now it's really out!!!

Personally, I do not get the impression Linda is a horse abuser. Definitely, she seems very compassionate towards horses.

I think her problem here was that she was overhorsed, out of tools and scared.

Horse training is not about one method. All horse training methods do not work on all horses. A good trainer uses a variety of methods - appropriate to the horse and situation.

BTW - I have seen a lot of professed horse lovers/horse rescuers do some pretty awful things to horses when they were scared (it's pretty normal to over-react when scared).

This is a also a classic example of WHY this method doesn't work very well and why it shouldn't be out there on the market. That's just my opinion.

Also, the horse could not have been ruined by that training session (remember, EVERY session is a training session). Definitely had his mind changed but not in a way that was unchangeable. It's not like she was tying up his foot and throwing plastic bags at him or laying him on the ground and covering him with a tarp!!!

It takes a little bit more try than that to ruin a horse ("ruin" meaning unfixable forever").